The Karen National Union (KNU) is the first and one of the strongest ethnic insurgent group that began fighting the Burmese government in 1948.
To establish a genuine Federal Union in cooperation with all the Karen and all the ethnic peoples in the country for harmony, peace, stability and prosperity for all.
- To gain the rights of equality and self-determination for the Karen people;
- To establish the Karen state with a just and fair territory and self- determination;
- To establish the Federal Union based on democracy and self-determination;
- To gain basic rights, democracy and equality for the Karen people and all ethnic nationalities of Burma.
- Surrender is out of the question.
- The recognition of the Karen State must be completed.
- We shall retain our arms.
- We shall decide our own political destiny.